Monday, January 26, 2015

What Would Jesus Do

 

My husband chocked a little on his own spit when I told him the title of this post. 

It was the mantra of my youth. I spent my later elementary years looking down at that band around my wrist, feeling guilty every time I made a mistake. 

Then it just became a joke.

Now, it is all but forgotten.

But, if we put the trend aside and take the statement for what it is, then we can allow it to reveal truth in our lives.

The truth is Jesus was a peaceful man.

Whenever I need some guidance and I don't really know what it is that I'm looking for, I turn to the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 5-7. 

This was one of those times.

I started writing this post about religious freedom at least 4 times. I really wanted to discuss the way Christians were being discriminated against and disenfranchised. I thought I might bring attention to the infiltration of hostile Muslim groups. But, I just couldn't put anything together. I couldn't find a focus. So, I went back to my focus. 

And it hit me.

As I read through those familiar verses, I felt the theme of Jesus' words wash over me. 

From the opening beatitude blessings to the revelation of the spirit of the law. He builds on the theme of peace until he hits the climax and really drives it home.

"You have heard it said, 'Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I tell you: Love your enemy and pray for those who persecute you." (Matthew 5:43-44)

He then solidifies his meaning with example after example of how to choose the peaceful way and the humble way: giving, prayer, fasting in secret, living one day at a time, not passing judgment. Finally, and most importantly, he ends his list with seeking God earnestly.

So, while we may have the right as Americans to fight for our religious freedom, ask yourself: what are you fighting for?

Are you fighting for the right to say the name of Jesus or are you fighting for Jesus?

I think fighting about this at all misses the point. 

Jesus didn't come to fight. He came to redeem the broken.

Do you really want to preserve the freedom to proclaim the gospel for future generations? Then ask yourself: what would Jesus do?

Jesus humbled himself to the cross. Jesus spent hours in prayer. Jesus loved the unlovable. Jesus didn't have any financial goals. Jesus gave grace freely. Jesus spoke the truth in love. 

That should be our focus today. Not what is the best way to win back the public. Not who is right and who is wrong. Not a fair trial.

Simply This:

What. Would. Jesus. Do.

No comments:

Post a Comment