So, without further ado:
10. "For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks. The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him." Matt. 12: 34b-35
We are really taking a deeper look at the entertainment we allow in our house these days. It seems that the more worldly influences we cut out, the more peaceful and Christ-like we become. In turn, we are better able to shine a light on God and His glory for others in our lives. This verse also serves as a reminder when our children sin that they ought to spend more time with God and his Word. After a big violation, we like to make more room for God by letting his Word soothe our souls.
9. "Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe." Phil. 2:14-15
Really trying to cut out negativity in my life so that Christ can shine through. The girls love the idea of shining like stars!
8. "A prudent man keeps his knowledge to himself, but the heart of fools blurts out folly." Proverbs 12:23
Learning to keep my smart comments to myself!
7. "A fool gives full vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control." Proverbs 29:11
I have always struggled with anger. I take things too personally. I let everything offend me. Now, I see this habit forming in my little MissMoo. That makes my heart hurt. Mostly because I know how alienating and lonely being angry can be. I want her to enjoy the peace, joy, and freedom that comes from simply giving God control. The more I learn to control my anger, the less power it has over my life. I am learning to choose joy! It makes for a much better day.
6. "Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus" Phil. 2:5
Lots to work on here! Verse 7 describes Him as a servant and 8 reminds us of His deepest obedience.
5. "Love never fails..." 1 Cor. 13:8
Of course, no one can have a Christ-like attitude without love. It was His love for the Father and His love for us that motivated Him to live and die the way He did. The more I meditate on His love for me, the more easily I am motivated put the needs of others before my own.
4. "...my grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Cor 12:9
I am learning that my weakness is just God's way of showing His powerful grace. Rather than hide my faults, I am trying to give glory to God for loving a sinner like me. Not only is my life an awesome example to others of how far his grace reaches; but, it also is an example to my kids especially of His transformational power. They see my ugly. But, they also see the healing that comes from giving it over to God! Now, they know that He can heal them too!
3. "He who loves pleasure will become poor; whoever loves wine and oil will never become rich." Proverbs 21:17
I really like good food. But, I want to leave a legacy for my kids. So, I am learning to tell myself "no," so that I have more to show for my money.
2. "I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you." Psalm 119:11
I use this to remind myself and the girls to draw our sword of the spirit whenever satan tempts us to sin.
1. "Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones." Prov 16:24
It is so true! Our words affect our own attitudes and the attitudes of those around us. When I hear a lot of complaining, I try to change the atmosphere by giving up a praise to God. Nothing brings more joy than the soothing peace of God.
So, there you have it! Those are a few of the things God is working on in my life. I hope it encourages you in your faith this week,